Kasol Kheerganga Trek is one of the most famous treks in the Parvati Valley of Himachal Pradesh, India. The trek is popular because of its trail which takes you to the source of the river that flows through the town. There is a hidden Emerald lake in the grasslands from which the river Beas emerges and lush green grasslands flourish below the summits of three biggest mountains. The trek is also known for its scenic views, fantastic beauty and hot springs.
|Location||Kasol, Himachal Pradesh, India|
|Duration||2 days and 1 night|
Here are some things to remember before embarking on the trek:
- Weather conditions: The weather in the Parvati Valley is quite unpredictable. It is necessary to check the weather forecast before starting the trail of the trek. The preferred time to visit the trek is in months of March to June and September to November. During this period of time, the weather is quite pleasant. During monsoon season it is recommended to avoid visiting because the trail of the trek becomes quite slippery.
- Physical fitness: The difficulty level of the trek is moderate and requires a certain level of physical fitness. It is necessary to do some basic workout and prepare yourself before the trail of the trek.
- Essential things to carry:
- Carry lightweight backpack with essentials only.
- Carry warmer clothes.
- Carry an umbrella and a raincoat for unexpected rains.
- Carry a water bottle to stay hydrated during the trek.
- Carry dry snacks such as dry fruits or energy bars to stay energized.
- Carry sunscreen, moisturizer and chapstick.
- Carry a route map or compass if not traveling with a guide.
- Carry a powerbank to keep your cell phone charged.
- Carry more cash because ATMs in the region are limited.
- Carry a first aid kit with basic medical necessities such as bandaids, altitude sickness tablets etc.
- Trekking gear: It is necessary to carry trekking gears like a trekking backpack, trekking shoes, trekking pole and clothes comfortable for trekking.
- Accommodations or stay options: There are many options for accommodation on the Kasol Kheerganga Trek. You can opt to stay in tents or guesthouses at the base camp in Barshaini or at the top of Kheerganga. There are also many options for cafes and restaurants along the way where you can take a break and can relax.
- Eateries: There are a lot of options to have scrumptious food during the trek. There are a number of tea stalls, cafes and restaurants to enjoy food. You will find most of the vegetarian food and the cuisine is a mix of Indian and Western.
- Leave no trace and respect the environment: The Parvati Valley is a pristine natural environment. It is necessary to respect and preserve it. So to keep it clean, do remember to not litter and carry all your waste with you.
- Permits or permissions and fee: There is no fee to be paid to trek to Kasol Kheerganga but you will need a permit from forest officials of Kasol.
- Altitude sickness: Kasol Kheerganga is situated at an altitude of 2960 meters which is quite high, and it is necessary to acclimatize to the altitude. It is advisable to take rest and drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration and altitude sickness. It is also important for the trekkers to be aware of the symptoms of altitude sickness and take needed precautions.
- Trekking guides: It is preferred and advised to hire a local trekking guide who knows the area well and can be a good guide and take you through the trek safely.
- Safety: The route of the trek can be challenging and it is necessary to follow safety guidelines. It is advised to trek in a group and inform someone about your itinerary before starting the trail of the trek.
- Transportation facilities:
- Nearest airport is Kullu Manali airport, which lies around 31 kilometers away. From the airport, you can hire a cab or access bus to reach Kasol.
- If you are traveling from Delhi, then you can have direct bus access to Kasol from Kashmere gate ISBT. The journey takes around 12 to 14 hours.
In conclusion, the Kasol Kheerganga Trek is a must visit destination for people who love nature and adventure enthusiasts. The trek is ideal for beginners and for experienced as well. The trek offers stunning views of the Himalayan ranges and a chance to learn about tradition and culture of locals of the place. With proper planning and preparation, this trek can be a memorable experience that you will cherish for a lifetime.